Ty Cerdd Young Composer 2015
Tŷ Cerdd is pleased to announce the return of its Young Composer’s Competition which will this year ask for new pieces to be written for wind orchestra in celebration of the founding of the first Welsh settlement in Patagonia in 1865.
The winner of the competition, which is open to Welsh composers, aged 25 and under, will be awarded a prize of £1,000 and have their work performed by the National Youth Wind Orchestra of Wales in April 2015.
1. £1,000 prize.
2. Public performance of the work by the National Youth Wind Orchestra of Wales at the Dora Stoutzker Concert Hall, Cardiff on 4th April 2015.
3. Professional recording of the work.
4. Publication of the work by Ty Cerdd - Music Centre Wales.
1. Original, unpublished work in one continuous movement, lasting 6 - 8 minutes.
2. The work should, directly or indirectly, be inspired by or celebrate the journey of the sailing ship, Mimosa from Wales to Argentina and the subsequent founding of the first Welsh settlement in Patagonia in 1865.
3. The scoring of the work should be as follows:
Piccolo; 2 Flutes (4 players); 2 Oboes; Cor Anglais; Eb Clarinet ; 3 Bb Clarinets (9 players); Alto Clarinet (optional); Bass Clarinet; 2 Alto Saxophones; Tenor Saxophone; Baritone Saxophone; 2 Bassoons; Contrabassoon; 3 Trumpets; 4 Horns; 3 Trombones; Euphonium (2 players); Tuba (2 players); String Bass; Timpani; 4 Percussion
The addition of any instrument should be agreed with the competition organisers before submission.
4. The work should be written for an ensemble of grade 8 standard or above.
5. Though most works are likely to be written in a western classical style, we also encourage the submission of music from other musical traditions and backgrounds.
6. The use of non-traditional instrumental techniques and notation is welcomed though composers should consider the limited rehearsal time of the NYWOW when writing their piece.
7. Competitors should include a programme note about their composition and a short biographical note with their entry.
8. In order to make the work as performable as possible, the composer may be asked to make some revisions to their score.
9. All rights to the composition remain with the composer.
Entrants are required to submit a full score as a Sibelius file.
1. Entrants are required to have been born after 31st August 1989.
2. Only those who were born in Wales or who have been educated in a Welsh school from ages of 11 - 18 may apply.
3. Previous winners are not eligible.
1. Professional composer(s)
2. Ty Cerdd Director
3. NYWOW Conductor
4. NYWOW Chairman
5. NYWOW Manager
The decisions of the judging panel are final. All entrants receive a written critique.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form.
31 January 2015